Schools around Houston are partnering with Candlelighters to raise awareness and funds for childhood cancer. Whether your school has a student with cancer or not, this is a great lesson for kids of all ages to learn – that kids with cancer are no different than they are, and the importance of giving back!
We are kicking off a challenge and we want YOU to get involved!
In honor of the Candlelighters 25th Anniversary, we’re looking for 25 schools in the greater Houston area to partner with Candlelighters by hosting an awareness and fundraising campaign. While September is Childhood Cancer Awareness Month – whatever timing is best for your school is just fine.
Thanks to those schools who have already signed up to teach Kids to Help Kids!
1. Episcopal High School – $2,000
2. Incarnate Word Academy – $1,350
3. Leon H. Sablatura Middle School – $800
4. St. Martha Catholic School – $539
5. Goforth Elementary – $285
6. Mark Twain Elementary (school dance happening May 18)
7. Glenda Dawson High School – toiletry drive
8. West University Elementary – gift card and toy drive
9. Fort Bend Christian Academy – gift card drive
10. Carleston Elementary (Fall Campaign)
11. EA Lawhon Elementary (Fall Campaign)
12. Harmony Excellence Schools (Fall Campaign)
13. Klein High School (Fall Campaign)
14. Lomax Elementary (Fall Campaign)
15. Garland McMeans Junior High (Fall Campaign)
16. Mitchell Intermediate School (Fall Campaign)
17.-23. Crosby Independent School District (Fall Campaign)
We have developed several fundraising options that can easily be modified for each school’s unique goal to achieve awareness and fundraising success. Your school may choose a program that recognizes individual achievement or choose a group fundraiser, or both! Most importantly, we want children to learn more about childhood cancer and how to help other children by taking action to make a difference in someone else’s life!
Our Top 5 Ways to Fundraise at School:
- Sell Something!
- Candlelighters Mobiles – line the hallways as a visual
- Candygrams or Bake Sale
- Tickets – school dance, talent show, or carnival
- Empty Your Pockets!
- Collect spare change in pre-made Candlelighters boxes
- Fill mini-M&M containers, did you know quarters fit perfectly?
- Show Your Spirit!
- Incorporate Candlelighters into your Spirit-Week! Caps for Candlelighters, Candlelighters Crazy Hair you name it! To participate, make a donation to Candlelighters!
- Go Gold throughout September for Childhood Cancer Awareness Month – pep rallies, sporting events, morning announcements and more
- Get Competitive!
- Penny Wars – contest between classrooms or grades where you want your jar to only have pennies in it. Place silver coins or dollar bills in the jars you want to lose! The lowest amount “raised” wins!
- Staff vs. Student sporting or academic events
- Incentive from the Principal – from shaving their head or dying their hair to kissing a pig, we’ve seen it all!
- Make it Your Own!
- Remember, there’s no one model that fits all, so make it unique to your school for optimal success!
We are so inspired by these groups of kids around Houston! To learn more about signing up your school for our challenge, please contact our Development Director, Kelsey Tarpinian at firstname.lastname@example.org. Help us get to 20!